Saturday, October 29, 2011

Week II: Micro-Bake Oct. 29


I'm exploring the edges – pushing them and pulling them. This week my hands found great joy in shaping raw dough, stretching it taut and giving it form. There is something primordial to this.

During the bake today, I tried to push the crust further than usual. I wanted it darker and thicker. I cut into a loaf (pictured below) and loved the results. The crust was so thick it wanted to break my teeth. The moist and aromatic crumb (bread insides) provided a perfect textural counterbalance.

Each Friday I mix the bread before dinner. Rather than kneading outright, I give it turns at certain intervals to stretch the gluten and build structure. This method dwells in the land between kneaded and no-knead bread, providing the practical benefits of both. An hour after the final turn, I divide the dough and pre-shape, then give it a final shape thirty minutes later. Right now this is my favorite part of the process. It's like separating day from night, land from sea. Chaos takes form.





No comments:

Post a Comment