Saturday, December 10, 2011

Week VIII: Micro-Bakery Dec. 10

Today marks the end of the second Micro-Bake cycle! That's eight straight weekends of baking and delivering bread. And now, time for a Micro-Bake-break until after the holidays (at least from bread subscriptions). In the mean time, I plan to continue baking (and blogging) with an eye toward experimentation. I'm hoping to have a go with the Desem recipe in The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book, and to try a few more breads from Chad Robertson's Tartine Bread.

This week I've been writing final papers for all my classes, so it's been stressful to say the least. But there was a moment last night, when I was shaping the last loaf of levain, that something broke inside me (in a good way). I saw the dough in my hands, in all its beauty and simplicity, and I felt an unbidden joy. It was as if waters had wept from the deep and wet my weariness through.

This morning, when Megan walked into the kitchen, the first thing she said was, "Dragon Bread." And lo and behold, she was right. A number of the loaves grew jagged ridges in the oven, their crusty sides textured with scales (see pictures below). I was born in the year of the dragon, my Feng Shui is 'Yellow Earth Dragon,' and I have a deep appreciation for dragons in general, so this was another occasion for wonder.

To the dragon belongs the element of fire, and wheat belongs to the element of earth (or so it seems to me). The Earth Dragon would, therefore, be the patron animal of bread-baking. I can't imagine how Zen I'd be if I were baking bread in a wood-fired earth oven. The future is bright.






No comments:

Post a Comment